Last revised: May 04, 2013
Photo Memories Album #2.
(Winter Memories - March 1966)
In front of the Underwood News - (before snowblowers).
(1978) - Editor, Underwood News
Arthur E. "Bud" Scott
|It was 1936 when Bud Scott took control of the UNDERWOOD NEWS. But
prior to that event there was an interesting history of the local paper.
In 1904, when Underwood was less than a year old, Fred Harris began the
UNDERWOOD JOURNAL, also known as the MINER-LEADER. During the next nine
years the paper changed ownership and names several times.
In 1914, John Satturland bought the paper and changed the name to the UNDERWOOD TIMES. In 1922, G. T. Anderson and Edward Erickson started the UNDERWOOD REPORTER. It was printed in Turtle Lake until 1930.
In 1932, Blaine Whipple established the UNDERWOOD NEWS and print shop, and continued as editor-publisher until 1936 when Bud Scott, for the next 34 years published the paper.
Bud Scott and his wife Jo operated the business until December 26, 1974 when they retired. He continued to write local news and his "Round & About" column.
November Snowstorm Crushes Old News Office
Friday, November 26, 1993
|A thick layer of heavy snow caused the front portion of the roof of the old News Building to collapse. The front of the building fell forward onto the sidewalk and street. No one was hurt, and a front loader pushed the debris out of the way.|
|I remember, as a kid, stopping by the News Office many times
watching Bud operate his Linotype machine and the metal make-up of each
weekly newspaper. Methods changed to computerized typesetters and paper
composition. The Underwood News served the community since 1932.
|The above photos and many other new photos and information about Underwood for our Website were contributed by Bud Scott's son, Tim Scott - retired school teacher, Bismarck, ND. Thanks!|
|Otis and Christine Mummert moved to Underwood in 1944
and operated the Red Owl Store, along with their son, Claude
Mummert. Mr. Mummert was very active in civic and community
affairs. He was involved with the pavement of city streets and
new street lighting. Otis helped to organize the McLean County
Fair, with Underwood as it home site. One of his favorite sports
was baseball, and he organized a city baseball team and had light
towers erected for night baseball. Before he died, in 1959, the
baseball field was named "Mummert Field" in his honor.
(1960) Country Club Traveling Trophy
Winner Claude Mummert (center), Syl Vonderheide and Eddie Huff (runner's up)
Bud Scott, George Werre
|Charles John Hassler (Better known as John C.) born in 1889 in Dakota Territory recalled some interesting bits of history including the old stage coach, the arrival of the railroad, the beginning of the town of Underwood, the first auto, grain sowed by hand, the long days on the threshing rig and grain hauled to the Missouri to load on riverboats. In 1916, John began construction of a 30' x 70' barn, a granary, chicken coop, and a four-bedroom house at a total cost of $8,600.00 which included materials, labor, and painting. He served on the township board for over 35 years, was a director for the Underwood-Missouri Telephone Co., and also served on the Longfellow School Board.|
2224 Ground Squirrel Dr.
New Port Richey, FL 34655-4029
Last revised: May 04, 2013
Copyright © 2010 by RWF2000